Chicken Bone Broth
5 lbs Chicken bones. You can use backs, necks and/or whole chicken
6 Quarts Filtered Water
8 oz Onion
4 oz Celery
4 oz Carrots
3 Cloves Crushed Garlic
6 Springs Fresh Parsley
2 Sprigs of Thyme
2 Bay Leaves
15-20 Whole Peppercorns
1 TBS Salt
2 TBS Apple Cider Vinegar
1. Bring the bones to a simmer over medium-low heat, skimming off any scum that rises to the top. (The scum will look sudsy. The reason for scooping out the sum is because it will leave your broth cloudy and discolored of not removed.)
2. Once the bones stop producing scum add the remaining ingredients and bring back to a simmer, cooking, covered, for 8-10 hours.
3. Check occasionally and add more water if needed.
4. When done strain broth through a mesh strainer and store in glass jars.
5. Refrigerate for up to 5 days or keep in the freezer up to 2 months.
Note: Once refrigerated your broth should gel and be slightly thickened. If freezing be sure to leave enough room in the top of the jar for the liquid to expand as it freezes.
Prep Time: Approx. 10 Minutes
Cooking Time: Approx 8-10 hours
Yields: 4-5 32 oz jars