1-16oz Bag Green Lentils, Rinsed & Drained
4 Carrots, Sliced About 1/4 Inch Thick
3 Celery Stalks, Sliced About 1/4 Inch Thick
1 Medium Onion, Diced
2-3 Cloves Garlic, Minced
3 TBS Olive Oil
About 48 Oz Chicken or Vegetable Broth
3 Bay Leaves
1/2 tsp Cumin (can add more to taste)
1/2 tsp Turmeric (can add more to taste)
1 tsp Dry Oregano
Salt & Pepper to Taste
2-3 Handfuls Fresh Spinach Leaves
1. Add the olive oil to a soup pot and heat over medium heat until oil begins to ripple.
2. Add carrots, celery, and onion and sauté for about 5 minutes on medium heat.
3. Add garlic and cook for 1 more minute.
4. Add lentils and cook for 1 minute.
5. Add stock and bring to a boil over medium-high heat. Lower heat to a simmer and add in the spices. Cover with the lid ajar and cook for about 1 hour or until the vegetables are tender.
6. Just before you turn off the heat add in the spinach and cook for about 30 seconds. Adjust salt and pepper to taste at end of cooking.
Note: Can serve topped with shredded parmesan cheese and red
pepper flakes if you like.
Prep Time: Approx. 20 Minutes
Cooking Time: Approx 1 hours
Yields: 4-5 32 oz jars